VFW Programs are defined under two categories
- Community Service, Youth Scholarship and Activities
- Veterans & Military Support
VFW Committees are created to coordinate action items
Community Service Programs
- Americanism: The purpose of this program is to promote patriotic activities and events.
- Buddy Poppy: All donations collected during a Buddy Poppy drive goes to a Relief Fund to support Veterans, their families in need and to promote education and their communities. No donations collected, by law, can go toward operation of the VFW Posts.
- Community Service: Helping is a part of who we are, whether you’re a solider far away from home or the neighbor down the street.
- Community Affairs: Understanding the importance of being a part of the community, participating and volunteering whenever possible.
Youth Scholarship & Education Programs
- Voice of Democracy (VOD): Is a scholarship contest provides students in grades 9-12 the opportunity to explore democratic ideals and principles through audio essays.
- Patriot’s Pen: The VFW Patriot’s pen essay contest is for students in grades 6-8.
- Teacher of the Year: Each year the VFW recognizes teachers for their outstanding commitment to teach Americanism and instill patriotism in their students.
Youth Activities Programs
- Scouting: Our partnership with the Boy Scouts of America dates back to 1915 when VFW Post 2100 helped to establish Troop 1 in Everett, Washington. Our Scout of the Year program provides members of the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts to be recognized for their standout citizenship.
- Civil Air Patrol: Since Civil Air Patrol’s formation during the earliest days of World War II, this vigilant organization of citizen Airmen has been committed to service to America. Founded on Dec. 1, 1941, to mobilize the nation’s civilian aviation resources for national defense service, CAP has evolved into a premier public service organization that still carries out emergency service missions when needed.
- Naval Sea Cadet: Founded in 1958, the US Naval Sea Cadet Corps and US Navy League Cadet Corps are the official youth organization of America’s Sea Services. The mission is to teach young men and women the values of patriotism, team work, self reliance, and physical fitness in a drug, alcohol, tobacco, and gang free environment.
- JROTC: Part of mission of the VFW is to promote and develop leadership among the youth. The U.S. Army Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) is one of the largest character development and citizenship programs for youth in the world.
Veterans & Military Support (V&MS) Programs
- Unmet Needs: Is there to help America’s military families who have run into unexpected financial difficulties as a result of deployment or other military related activity or injury.
- Military Assistance Program (MAP): A large part of MAP is the Adopt-A-Unit program, providing VFW Posts the opportunity to adopt military units around the world. Develop a supportive relationship with the units before, during and after deployments to help deliver vast networks of resources.
- VFW Sport Clips Help a Hero Scholarship: Provides service members and veterans with the financial assistance they need to complete their education without incurring excessive student debt.
- Student Veterans of America (SVA): The mission of SVA is to act as a catalyst for student veteran success by providing resources, network support and advocacy to, through, and beyond higher education.
- Membership Committee: From local grassroots ideas to national influence, we work every day to make a difference. Join us to make our voice stronger.
- Time and Place Committee: To coordinate specific Post events with outside locations.
- Ways and Means/ Fundraising Committee: Develop and implement a strategic plan to finance Post operations.
- Bylaws Committee: To annually review Post bylaws and recommend changes.
- Legislative Committee: The VFW legislative program monitors all legislation affecting veterans. Being one of the largest veterans’ organizations, the VFW is one of the most successful organizations advocating on veterans behaves.